Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Palin Plays Fast and Loose With Public Funds

We noted in a recent post that Republican vice-presidential nominee Sarah Palin has used public equipment and facilities for her political and personal use. We also noted the irony that conservatives nationally seem to be gah-gah over Palin at the same time that Republican forces in Alabama apparently cost me my job at UAB with trumped-up allegations that I had used my work computer for the political purpose of writing my blog--even though the university's own investigation showed I had never written the first word on my blog from my work computer.

The irony gets even deeper today as we learn that Palin has played fast and loose with state funds while serving as governor of Alaska.

The Washington Post reports that Palin has billed taxpayers for more than 300 nights she spent at home, even though such a per diem allowance is intended to cover meals and incidental expenses while traveling.

Essentially, it appears that Palin has been claiming that she was traveling on state business when she was not. That sounds an awful lot like fraud to these Schnauzer ears.

Wonder if the Bush Justice Department will jump on this one.

No comments: